The Press Release:
The Harvey Awards today revealed the nominations and opened the voting for the following categories: Book of the Year, Digital Book of the Year, Best Children or Young Adult Book, Best Adaptation from Comic Book/Graphic Novel, Best Manga, and Best International Book. The nominees for the 2021 Harvey Awards are:
Book of the Year:
* The Book Tour by Andi Watson (Top Shelf Productions)
* Cyclopedia Exotica by Aminder Dhaliwal (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Department of Truth, Vol 1: The End Of The World by James Tynion IV, Martin Simmonds (Image Comics)
* Heaven No Hell by Michael DeForge (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Kent State: Four Dead in Ohio by Derf Backderf (Abrams)
* The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen (Random House)
* Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith (Fantagraphics)
* Stone Fruit by Lee Lai (Fantgraphics)
* Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen? by Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber (DC Comics)
* Save It For Later: Promises, Protest and Parenthood by Nate Powell (Abrams)
Digital Book of the Year:
* Adora and The Distance by Marc Bernardin and Ariela Kristantina (Comixology Originals)
* Crisis Zone by Simon Hanselmann – Serialized on https://www.instagram.com/simon.hanselmann/
* Cyclopedia Exotica by Aminder Dhaliwal – Serialized on https://www.instagram.com/aminder_d/
* Friday by Ed Brubaker and Marcos Martin – http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday
* Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe – https://www.webtoons.com/en/romance/lore-olympus/list?title_no=1320
Best Children or Young Adult Book:
* Allergic by Megan Wagner Lloyd and Michelle Mee Nutter (Scholastic Graphix)
* Class Act by Jerry Craft (Quill Tree Books)
* The Magic Fish by Trung Le Nguyen (Random House)
* Nubia: Real One by L.L. McKinney and Robyn Smith (DC Comics)
* Twins by Varian Johnson and Shannon Wright (Scholastic Graphix)
Best Adaptation from Comic Book/Graphic Novel:
* The Boys by Amazon, based on The Boys (DC Comics)
* Invincible by Amazon, based on Invincible (Image)
* Loki by Disney+, based on The Avengers (Marvel Comics)
* Superman & Lois by CW, based on Superman (DC Comics
* Sweet Tooth by Netflix, based on Sweet Tooth (DC/Vertigo)
* WandaVision by Disney+, based on The Avengers (Marvel Comics)
* Asadora! by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)
* Boys Run the Riot by Keito Gaku (Kodansha Comics)
* Chainsaw Man by Tatsuki Fujimoto (VIZ Media)
* Remina by Junji Ito (VIZ Media)
* Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endo (VIZ Media)
Best International Book:
* The City of Belgium by Brecht Evans, translated by Brecht Evans (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Factory Summers by Guy Delisle, translated by Helge Dascher and Rob Aspinall (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Moms by Yeong-shin Ma, translated by Janet Hong (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Paul At Home by Michel Rabagliati, translated by Helge Dascher and Rob Aspinall (Drawn & Quarterly)
* The Winter of the Cartoonist by Paco Roca, translated by Andrea Rosenberg (Fantagraphics)
Nominees for this year’s awards were once again selected by a curated committee of diverse industry voices including creators, publishing professionals, retailers, educators, and librarians. Creator and industry professionals who have been previously approved for a Professional or Artist Alley badge at any ReedPop comic convention between 2016 – 2021 are automatically eligible to cast their ballot and vote on this year’s nominees.
Select professionals have been preapproved to vote on this year’s awards and will receive their voting ballots soon. If you’d like to apply to participate in selecting this year’s Harvey Awards, please visit the Harvey Awards Apply to Vote page. Voting will conclude on September 6, 2021.
“Each year, the Harvey Awards offers the opportunity to honor the life and work of the great Harvey Kurtzman while recognizing the best of the best in our industry today,” said Lance Fensterman, Global President, ReedPop. “This year’s list of nominees includes a diverse group of creators hand-selected by a committee of their peers and we can’t wait to come together again during New York Comic Con to celebrate their talent.”
The Harvey Awards honors books and creators working in sequential art across a variety of categories and represents one of the industry’s longest-running annual events. The awards are named after Harvey Kurtzman, the legendary creator who is best remembered for creating MAD.
The annual ceremony celebrating the Harvey Awards will be once again digital this year and livestreamed during New York Comic Con 2021. A cocktail reception for nominees, publishing professionals, and industry creators will be held as part of this year’s New York Comic Con event. More information about this year’s Harvey Awards ceremony event and an announcement regarding this year’s Harvey Awards Hall of Fame class will be released at a later date.
For more information about Harvey Kurtzman and the Harvey Awards, please visit harveyawards.com or the Harvey Awards social media pages (Facebook and Twitter). The Harvey Awards Steering Committee is co-chaired by Nellie Kurtzman, John Lind, and Chip Mosher.
New York Comic Con, the ultimate pop culture destination event in the United States, will take place on October 7-10, 2021 at the Javits Center in NYC. NYCC brings the best of comics, television, film, exhibitors, celebrities, cosplay, anime, and more to create memorable, uniquely exciting experiences for fans. These experiences transcend beyond the walls of the Javits Center and continue to live beyond the weekend of NYCC through the online world of New York Comic Con’s Metaverse. For more information, please visit findthemetaverse.com.
About Harvey Kurtzman and the Harvey Awards:
Harvey Kurtzman (1924–1993), creator of MAD, was a cartoonist and pop culture icon. Among the most influential American satirists, he was known for his visionary abilities that encompassed author, artist, designer, and editor, and combined those skills in some capacity in almost every project he was involved in. The Harvey Awards, presented annually since 1988, are named in his honor and aim to recognize the achievements among creators and their books in the publishing industry.
ReedPop is a boutique group within Reed Exhibitions – one of the world’s leading events organizers. Launched in 2006, the group has become the number one producer of pop culture events across the globe as well as a full service digital content provider and media company. Delivering once-in-a-lifetime fan experiences curated specifically for localized audiences, ReedPop currently features events in North America and Europe, including: New York Comic Con (NYCC), Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2), PAX West, East, South, and Unplugged, Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC), Star Wars Celebration, MCM Comic Con, Eurogamer Expo (EGX), Minecraft Festival, ComplexCon and more. In addition to organizing and managing events, ReedPop also runs and operates the Gamer Network and its portfolio of leading gaming websites including Eurogamer, Rock Paper Shotgun and GamesIndustry.Biz. The staff at ReedPop are a fan-based, globally focused group of professionals that are uniquely qualified to build and serve the communities with whom they share a common passion. (www.reedpop.com)
*** end of transmission ***
PiercingMetal Thoughts: It’s always great to find the greats of the comic book industry honored but in looking over the nominations I can only speak to a portion of the adaptations when it comes to both “Loki” and “WandaVision”. Though I have Netflix I didn’t get around to watching “Sweet Tooth” yet and I hate to admit that I find “Superman and Lois” on the boring side but that’s just my view. I love the actor doing Superman but felt he was better in the soon to be cancelled “Supergirl” series but I digress. What do you supporters of the medium think about this years Harvey Award s nominations? You can chime in down below in the comments section. I will return to this particular topic when the winners are announced and who knows, if I see them tweeting each winning name maybe I will do some of that at the moment live tweeting. The limited amount of NYCC tickets have been sold out according to what we shared on THIS LINK but they have opened up a channel for those who can’t go and are returning some to be open so just hit their link below to learn more. See you next time and be safe out there.
Harvey Awards: https://www.harveyawards.com/
New York Comic Con: http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com